Monday, October 19, 2009

Living light in Fort Bragg

I'm finishing up my second week at the Living Light Culinary Institute in Fort Bragg and I already feel like it's a second home.  We had another amazing week at school packed full of new information and learning opportunities.  I'm coming back to Indianapolis ready to impart my newfound "raw" wisdom.  I'm so excited to share what I've learned and help people take the healthier path and feel more alive than they ever have. 
Stay tuned for information on how to take my first raw food class!

Last Saturday and Sunday, we took The Science of Raw Food Nutrition course.  I was excited to take this part of my training but had NO IDEA how informative and enlightening it would be.  Our instructors, the Dinas, did an amazing job of explaining the relationship of food with our bodies.  All I have to say is WOW.  I can't wait to share what I've learned when I get back to Indianapolis.

Monday, we learned how to make raw Vietnamese Salad Rolls, Asian-Style Wild Rice and Not Tuna Pate.  Here's a picture of the pate (a parody of tuna salad and tastes very similar - but even better in my opinion).  Our group got just a little creative with our design :)





Tuesday was raw candy day.  On the list for the day was truffles and fudge.  Carmel, dark chocolate and almond joy...mmm...




Wednesday we made Lemon Tartlets.  I'm a chololate girl - but this is my favorite dessert we've made so far.  So bright in flavor, light and satisfying - and so cute!  I will definitely be making these for the holidays :)




Thursday was a huge learning experience for me.  Each team created an orignial appetizer recipe from someone in their group.  My recipe was chosen and it didn't work out the way I had imagined.  I don't know why I thought pine nuts and tahini would mix well together in the Vitamix blender.  To make a long story short - they don't mix well at all and my Greek Island Zucchini Boats, well, sunk.  But that's okay!  I'm here to learn and boy did I learn a few things this day :)  So, here are a few beautiful appetizers from the other groups :)






We catered a 4 course dinner for ourselves and some guests (36 people all together) on Friday night, which was a really cool experience.  This is a picture of my team, which was responsible for the gazpacho - they're putting on the finishing touches - parsley and seasoned sunflower seeds.



It was a great week, finished off by a relaxing weekend.  Fort Bragg is a beautiful town on the coast so I am lucky enough to take my morning runs and afternoon bike rides right along the water.  Here are a few pictures of my beautiful views.  Enjoy!

View from bike trail Saturday afternoon


Morning Run


Thank you for reading :)  Ciao! 

No comments:

Post a Comment